Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Junk Style: DIY Garden Fencing Shade

Don't be offended by what I'm about to say. See this dining room light fixture? Maybe you have one just like it, or similar. Maybe it looks great in your space! I just don't like it in mine. 


It's not that there is anything really wrong with it. Just a "builder blah" light fixture. Every time I glance over at it (for over 2 1/2 years!) I think, "That's not right." Haha. As if I don't have bigger things to think about.


 It just isn't my style. I was after something a little more unique. Something a little...junkier. 
I've thought many times about taking it down altogether and hanging my mason jar chandelier here. But we are renting this home, and I just couldn't get totally motivated to take the fixture down knowing I'd have to put it back up if we move. You know me-I also wasn't going to spend any money to buy or make a new fixture!

A couple of nights ago I was looking at some blogs and thinking about how much I love the shape and look of a drum shade over a dining table and inspiration struck! What if I made my version of a drum shade shaped cover to slip over the light fixture I don't like? 
It took me about 30 seconds of contemplation before I jumped up and started grabbing together some possible materials for my idea.



I picked up this old garden fencing from a roadside junk pile last Spring. I have made a couple of other hanging chandelier type projects with it, so I thought this might be a good start for something that I could make big enough to slip around the ceiling fixture. I figured out how many panels it would take to fit around it and used needle nose pliers to connect the pieces to each other securely in a circle. 


 

I also had a large scrap of white fabric in my stash.  I decided to tear it into strips and hot glued them around the inside of my junk garden fencing frame so the pretty shape of the metal would show on the outside of the shade. 

After this, things got a little ugly. 

I wasn't sure how I was going to attach the shade to the fixture. Initially my daughter and I tried using the same fabric strips, tying them from the fence shade to the center ceiling chain. 

Uuum..no. 

I couldn't make the garden fence frame hold it's circular shape, and the fabric strips on the inside of the frame were originally much longer. The whole thing was starting to look like the mummy meets a giant octopus! 

 

Then, another idea. I had picked up two cheap hula hoops at Big Lots when we were in California. What if I attach the junk fence shade to a fabric wrapped hula hoop so it will hold it's shape? Great idea right? Until my 6 year old son walks into the kitchen and sees mom gluing fabric strips to his hula hoop :/ 
Well, a few unhappy moments (and the promise of another hula hoop) later, he and I were good, the plan was implemented and it worked!



Since tying the shade to the fixture chain with fabric strips just looked too sloppy, I had to come up with another solution. I had this hook with three pieces of chain attached on another hanging piece I made (but wasn't being used) and decided this was a much neater option. 



I simply hung the hook directly on the chain. The shade isn't heavy at all, so that wasn't a concern. 
 

 To hold the garden fencing to the hula hoop frame, I bent the wire pieces that would get pushed into the ground around the hula hoop. I slipped the ends of the three chain pieces over these to attach the chain to the frame.


I also trimmed up the fabric strips a bit for a simpler overall shape.

 

I added a few chandelier crystals I already had to the bottom of the shade, just for a little sparkle.










A new shade from roadside junk and a hula hoop? This is my idea of a junk style drum shade and I'm totally loving it. Why didn't I think of it sooner?

Just so you know, we've been home from our California trip for a week now, and I haven't fully unpacked my suitcase yet! And yet I spend an entire evening making a lampshade out of junk garden fencing. Go figure. 
I guess it's not called Creating a Life for nothing ;-)






I'm working on a few more simple summer-into-fall changes over here that I'll be sharing soon. I hope you'll come back soon for another visit!

Jeanette

Joining these fun parties this week!

Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse
Be Inspired at Common Ground  
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson 
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits at StoneGable 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Junkin' Joe at The Cottage Market 
Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo 
Party Junk at Funky Junk 
Inspiration Monday at I Should be Mopping the Floor 
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House 
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch 
Creative Bloggers Party at Homemaker on a Dime 
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill 
The Scoop 
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House 
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Blissful Whites Wednesday at Timewashed 
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours 
The Inspiration Gallery at Craftberry Bush 
What to do Weekends at Crafts a la Mode 
Junkers Unite at Knick of Time 

 

35 comments:

  1. Totally doing this in my rental over my very similar light fixture : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is TOTALLY you! the light now fits your space nicely. $tree has hola hoops for sale (during summer, but they might still have it).

    ReplyDelete
  3. FANTASTIC - isn't it amazing how we all of a sudden figure out how to fix a problem. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is just so adorable, perfectly shabby and "junky" in the best possible way! such a great idea to use the fabric strips...and I DID see a crystal drop or two. love this Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. I love it. So creative and I agree that the old chandelier wasn't you! This is totally you. I love that you haven't unpacked but spent a whole evening on this. That's the kind of stuff that drives my family crazy. :) But a blogger has to do....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanette, it turned out so cute! One would never guess that there was a hula hoop lurking under there. Packing will wait. One must stop and create when the inspiration comes. So very clever! Love, love it! Thanks for sharing it with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous! I love turning simple things into things that turn out amazing! We'll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Creative and origional. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Jeanette,
    I love this. This is so perfect and what a difference. So pretty and so creative on your part. Love it.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly perfect solution! It looks cool and a tad junky and very "now."
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great save for a fixture you didn't like. Creating or unpacking, is that really a hard decision? The suitcases are not going anywhere but our creative ideas have to be executed swiftly before they pack up (pun intended) and leave our present thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, a very good up cycle to old fencing, and you "bejeweled" it ta-boot! visiting thru I Should be Mopping the Floor party.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your shade is gorgeous!!! Love...love...love this idea!
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so clever! Your light went from ordinary to fantastic! Love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Genius and totally gorgeous! now I want one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a creative idea....congrats of the feature!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply FABULOUS!!!! Upcycling at its finest! : ) Hugs...TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I just love your lamp shade!!! SO pretty!! Happy sweet Friday! xx Holly

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely charming!! Just love it, Jeanette!! I would love something like this in my studio...if I ever get it done! LOL!
    Have a lovely week!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jeanette, just hopping by to let you know that I will be featuring you at SYC today.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's pretty inventive, Jeanette!! Love that you come to my party and link your luscious posts. Following on Bloglovin also. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I am new to your blog. I love how you did this. Excited I found your blog can't wait to read other things you have done. Great Blog !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm crazy about this light! It is so cool! I've just featured you on FB. :) Thanks for linking up to Junkers United!

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151878565136141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so very clever! Love the lines that fencing give the light. Much better than any light you can buy a store. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    Happy weekend!
    Tausha
    sassystyleredesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an amazingly creative idea :) Love that the suitcase stayed packed while the creative juices were a-flowin' :) totally something I would do!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. SO love this! Sharing at my FB page later today for Hometalk Tuesday and definitely pinning. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gauteng security fencing
    Your blog is distinctive. I have found your blog innovative. You have chosen very incredible theme for your sketch. I cherished it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What you can do too is get a beautiful fence installed i did and it was awesome. Before we started using Fence Crafters for our commercial fence projects, we were always plagued with companies who overpromised and underdelivered. Fence Crafters has continuously delivered quality work on time, every time for our property management firm and we recommend them to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So, maybe fences do count as gardening after all!
    At least it's got me dreaming about that potting shed.
    That's it for today.
    Thanks for stopping by!patio fence

    ReplyDelete
  30. The perfect example of a narrow potting shed is at my friend Lucy's garden.
    It's covered with a clear, plastic greenhouse roof so that there's plenty of light
    and so that everything stays dry.local fence installers

    ReplyDelete
  31. Manipulation de poudres toxiques
    – Isolation
    – DĂ©samiantage, dĂ©pollution
    – ContrĂ´le amiante
    – Nettoyage de terrains contaminĂ©s
    – Applications en fibre de verre, rĂ©sine et cĂ©ramique
    – Fabrication de ciment
    FacebookACCOUNTShttps://www.facebook.com/combinaisonsjetable
    NORMES DE PROTECTION

    Type 5 : EN ISO 13982-1 : Protection contre les particules sèches dangereuses
    Type 6 : EN ISO 13034 : Protection contre les légères projections de liquides
    EN ISO 1073-2 : Protection contre la contamination par des particules radioactives
    EN ISO 1149-5 : Exigences relatives aux vêtements antistatiques Combinaisons Jetable Bleu Catégorie III Type 5/6

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!