Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Rustic Revival






Is it wrong to be so attached to a hunk of deteriorating wood that you just can't bring yourself to part with it?
Honestly...look at this thing.



Crumbling, broken, chippy blue paint all but gone.





  
Some time way back in my other life, I fell in love with this thing. I (surprisingly) can't remember where I got it, but it was likely in the throw away pile at a farm and ranch sale. It had alot more blue paint on it back then. 

 

I can just see my ex-husband rolling his eyes : ) 


At my previous home it was a planter box in my backyard filled  with pots of overflowing flowers from Spring through Fall, and pine branches in the Winter. I screwed two logs to the bottom to create a stand. After several years the bottom of the box deteriorated from moisture. 



It's been in the basement in our current home for over two years now, because I didn't want to toss it and I didn't know what I wanted to do with it. Even after all these years I'm still smitten with it's rustic charm. Sigh.


A couple of weeks ago I decided to take it apart and see what I could salvage. Have I already mentioned how much I love the chippy blue paint?





Surely I could come up with some sort of a new life for some of the pieces, right?




For the two chunky end pieces I thought I'd try using them as some sort of display boards for now.


I like the look of the iron bird and cloche with the chippy blue surface. It has a certain shabby, farmhouse appeal, don't you think?




I smoothed down the flaking paint very carefully with some fine sandpaper, then put several coats of Mod Podge on all sides (the only sealer-type stuff I have right now). 


Anyone else a sucker for a worn out chunk of wood? 
 





  
Who knows what they'll become later, but for right now I'm happy with them just the way they are.


What about the other long pieces?



The one on the left is pretty rotted, but will I toss it? Nope. I'll come up with some way to use it outside until it turns to dust. : )
The one on the right? I think it's going to become my next mantel shelf! I'll show you as soon as I get it figured out. 


I like the idea of Spring decorating being about giving new life to something that's on it's last leg! I know many of you are onto that same theme- upcycling, re-purposing, re-inventing items for your homes this Spring.
With tomorrow being the first day of March, there will be no stopping the mental charge ahead toward the coming season.

But on this last afternoon in February I'm reminded that as much as we try to hope and wish our way out of our current season, the fact remains it is still Winter! 
Time goes so very quickly, my friends! I don't want to regret not paying attention to the current season...the current day. By spending every minute mentally projected "out there" into a day that hasn't come yet, we rob ourselves of the ability to just be right where we are at the moment. To really be present with our loved ones, enjoying the simple pleasure of being together.  It can be a struggle, I know! 



This afternoon it is cold and gray and looking like it's about to snow. It's not Spring, it's Winter! The kids and I are going to enjoy a simple supper and snuggle in on the couch together to watch some episodes of Andy Griffith {classic t.v. shows are one of our greatest loves for family entertainment!}
Tomorrow will have it's own challenges and concerns, but tonight we're cozy and warm and together. And that's more than enough. 
Farewell February 2013!

Jeanette


Sharing over at:

Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground 
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage 
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
SNS at Funky Junk Interiors  
 
 













6 comments:

  1. I LOVE everything about the wood pieces!! the paint it's such a pretty blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more about the old wood pieces , I have a few the I can't let go of and they are in pretty rough shape.. As for the rushing our days and the older tv shows, I'm not sure how but we must be related because I feel the same way..lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your sweet comment, Anne! I'm glad to know someone else likes "slow and old" :) Have a good weekend!

      Jeanette

      Delete
  3. Two of my favourite things -blue and rustic wood! Lovely and a great way to salvage some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love that color! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!