Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Summer Dining Room






Okay, who am I kidding? There is rarely any dining happening in this space. In fact, the table often looks 
something like this-




Did I really just show you that? 

No matter how many times I think, try, start to make my creative space in another area of the house I always seem to end up right back here in the middle of the main living area. Yikes. My poor family. 



Thankfully, right next to the messy table, we do have a large island where we eat. You can see more about the kitchen over here.

Since Where Bloggers Create 2014  is coming up soon, and I may want to share this as my creative space again, {see last year's post about my creative space here} I thought I would pretend it's a real dining room for a bit, and invite you over before all mayhem breaks out again. 

Welcome to our little summer dining room! 



Seasonal decorating for me has become more about adding subtle details and textures that hint at the season, and are easy to move around and change up as the mood strikes. 




The dining "room" is really more of a corner area in the space that includes the kitchen and living room. It's a small area, so I left the table pushed over to the island for these first photos just to show what's going on on the back wall. 




Why, yes I did hit my head on the light shade numerous times without the table there. I'm so glad I can provide some entertainment for my kids.

If you'd like to see the tutorial for creating a similar shade to cover a large light fixture, you can find that over here



If you've been a follower for awhile, you've seen this wall cabinet "dressed" several different ways, including with the doors taken off. Right now I have a simple curtain hung inside to cover my messy crafting supplies.




This little vintage dresser was a thrift store find several years ago. It's just the right size to make it suitable for almost any room in the house. It has served in the entryway, living room, and even a bedroom (or two) over the years. It's not in great shape, but I still love it. 




Birds always seem to find their way into my vignettes. Awhile back a friend gave me a vintage lampshade with the fabric too far gone to save. I was going to re-cover it {I still might someday} but for now it holds stacks of dinner plates perfectly!








I'm originally from southern California, but have been in Colorado for about 20 years. I really like using items from nature to remind us of our beach trips "back home".

The driftwood sailboat was an easy diy project. Even though it looks beach-y, it was actually made from driftwood from a Colorado creek! 





If you'd like to make your own driftwood sailboat, you can find the tutorial here.
















The cloche was created by gluing a little white china bird to an overturned candle jar. The cake stand was created by gluing a small wicker basket to the bottom of a vintage ironstone platter. I really enjoy making one-of-a-kind pieces.









I shared this piece on my Facebook last week. Do you know what it is? It was my grandmother's, and I've had it stashed away with her sewing notions for years. Can you believe I only found out last week that it is an antique automobile dashboard clock? This was the thing before cars began being manufactured with electric clocks! 




The pair of chairs were picked up recently for free. 




One holds a vintage milk crate full of fabrics I use for projects..



the other a vintage sugar sack pillow. 



On the wall, vintage sheet music and pretty postcards are attached to a metal memo board. 












Very simple no-sew drop cloth curtain panels.







On the table, a collection of well-used chunky candles in a vintage pan {along with a pretty towel I swiped from my daughter :) }






Be sure and pop over to My Desert Cottage for all the details on this year's Where Bloggers Create party. 

Thanks so much for coming by today!

Jeanette

Sharing this week over at






32 comments:

  1. Your dining room is so full of charm, Jeanette!! I really enjoy your style and creativity.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette, I love how you're using the old lampshade frame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeanette, it all looks great! I understand completely....I am constantly rearranging and my large dining table gets covered in all the "stuff".. I have just recently put all the "stuff" in boxes and set it in the floor against a wall.. still in the dining room...lol Have a great day! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeanette,
    I love your summer dining room. Every inch of it. My dining room table becomes a craft station and catch all a lot too. My fave thing in that room is those chandy shade light fixtures you did. I absolutely love those. Have a great Sunday.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great displays, Jeannette - love your space! That lampshade as plate rack immediately caught my eye -so clever! Love how you literally broke down the room so we readers could see the details. Now, carry on craft warrior, and mess that room up again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great displays, Jeannette - love your space! That lampshade as plate rack immediately caught my eye -so clever! Love how you literally broke down the room so we readers could see the details. Now, carry on craft warrior, and mess that room up again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made so many beautiful changes... I love the boat and your grandmothers clock. And also your new blog look :-) Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is a great idea to put the board inside. I might try it by adding one to the outside and one to the inside and screwing them together. Your room turned out so pretty and this rolling basket just tops it off so well.
    DIY Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're on the same page with the seasonal decor - it's FUN if you don't have to reinvent the wheel. :) Your multi-tasking room is lovely, Jeanette. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING . . . caught my eye. So much to comment on so I will just say " LOVE YOUR STYLE"!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the curtains. I meant to comment on those earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it. I haven't read about your table. Did you paint the legs on it recently? I love birds too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I don't know where to begin. Your dining room is gorgeous and so full of creative treasures. I love the dishes in the upside down shade frame. Thanks for sharing...so much eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dining room table seems to be catch all a lot also and I do create a lot of my jewelry pieces there too. Love your dining room and your kitchen...very pretty!!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a charming dining room. You have done such a great job on making this room beautiful. Now don't feel bad about the mess on the table, you should see mine today. LOVE that neat light fixture!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. I totally love the simple curtain hung inside the cabinets. Looks great and it's a pretty smart solution to hide the mess inside

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a dedicated creative space but, still wind up at the dining room table as well.... my poor family has to deal with it a lot... I love your dining room - so many charming and creative things to see... beautiful.... Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love you dinging room...every detail is perfect!
    Deb
    Seeking Lavender Lane

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! So pretty! Any flat surface in our home, eventually becomes a project in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved all you did with the drop cloth. Love the wire baskets are great. It feels so beachy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that you showed how your table usually looks - that's how MY table usually looks, too! I have one of those metal milk crates, and use it as a magazine holder. I like how you're using yours, gave me a good idea. Take care - Dawn @ We Call It Junkin.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your space is just beautiful! Your driftwood boat reminded me I have a few to make. Thanx for partying at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So lovely! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Pop on over tomorrow to check out your feature! Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jeanette, I just adore your style! Your summer dining room is fresh and so welcoming. I love that you show how the table really is. Families must live, right? I noticed the lampshade right off and thought, how clever you were! I would never have thought to do that, I love it! Thanks for sharing with SYC. I will be featuring you this week.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your dining table looks just like mine...at least in the first picture. It is weird how I have a number of other places to work but I'd rather be at the dining table than anywhere else. Visiting from Art & Sand. Glad to have met you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh how I love your style. Popped over from over at the Cozy Little House and am so very glad I did. Your collections, your displays and all the things you love are so similar to what I like and love that I have no doubt in the upcoming months you will be a big inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love your lovely corner! The sailboat is too adorable! Thank you for linking with Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your house is delightful, and I really love your kitchen and dining room! :D
    I also appreciate your style.

    ReplyDelete
  29. it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity..
    Termite Inspection El Paso

    ReplyDelete
  30. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information.Chaussetes

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!