Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Maggie Rose {and the business of creating}




Meet Maggie Rose. 

Now, no giggling please :)



If you've been around here for awhile, you've probably heard me talk about being creative and crafty pretty much my entire life. If you're new here, I welcome you to my little corner of the world!
If you would like to know a little about the path that led me to Creating a Life, you can head over here for a little overview of my journey.



So, waaay back in the early 90's I was completely taken with the, then, new and popular trend of woodcrafting. I remember the thrilling experience of purchasing my first power tool, a Sears Craftsman scroll saw. You are giggling, aren't you? 




I had my little wood shop set up in the garage. I loved the smell of sawdust, and stocking up on sandpaper, brushes and all the awesome late 80's, early 90's mauve and blue paints. Shopping for wood was a blast and for Christmas I asked my husband for a belt sander, and was over the moon when I received it! 





Yes, I am aware that some women like gifts of jewelry : ) 





I bought many, many wood crafting magazines and mail order patterns, and was happily involved in learning to create cute stuff with wood. All with no Pinterest, can you believe it? 


I named my tiny enterprise "Simple Treasures Wood Shop" and sold some things to friends and family and did some craft shows. One Christmas, I did lots of vintage style old world Santas, etc and my mom took them to her office and sold them to her co-workers. Go, mom! 




It was a great hobby, and a fun way to make a little money while staying home with my new daughter. 



Miss Maggie Rose was the very first wood craft I ever completed from a magazine tutorial. I fell in love with the idea of a wooden "paper doll", and decided to make her for my daughter. 




That tiny little girl I made this for just turned 23 this week! 



My other daughters (the youngest is 10) also played with Maggie when they were little, so she's been well loved. You never know where she will show up these days. 
In a toy box, in a kitchen drawer.....she's just always around

So why am I talking about my past woodcrafting business and Maggie Rose today? 

Starting on May 20th I am participating in a 3 week online course called Building a Creatively Made Business 2.0.

http://jeanneoliver.ning.com/group/building-a-creatively-made-business-2-0

Many of you will recognize these very talented ladies who are teaching the course. Marian Parsons (a.k.a. Miss Mustard Seed), Jeanne Oliver and Jennifer Rizzo

Recently, Jennifer Rizzo did a post where she showed a photo of some of her earlier creative adventures and it made me smile as it brought to mind some of my first real creative endeavors, like Maggie Rose and all those wood crafting projects : )




I'm super excited about this course and what I will learn that will guide me and help me get more focus in this next season of my creative life! 

Click here for more information about the course and to register. 
Also, this week Jeanne Oliver and Jennifer Rizzo did a fun "pre-course" Q & A video that gives a great overview of what the course will be covering. Click here for more info and to watch the video. 

Maybe you and I will be classmates? 




I'll be back tomorrow to share my junk-y farmhouse style kitchen pendant shades!

Jeanette

Sharing over at
Sundays at Home at Thoughts From Alice



4 comments:

  1. I remember the days of wood crafts. Your little Maggie Rose is just adorable. I did my first craft show back in 1985 and was hooked on creating wood crafts for my shows. Times have changed and I now love making vintage style jewelry...but I sure enjoy looking back at what I've made over the years.
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun- both the wooden doll and the idea of taking the on-line course.

    I don't think I have ever noticed the numbered backs on the chairs - love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want her when you're tired of her popping up randomly in your house, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity..
    Home Inspection El Paso

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!