Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, April 4, 2014

White Plates and Promises




I have been trying to finish some decorating updates in my kitchen for a few WEEKS and I just haven't been able to pull my act together. 
What is it with these children that think they need to eat? Multiple times a day? Sheesh : ) 





Honestly, I feel like I aaalmost have it together. Then we decide to cover the island with blown eggs or art projects or school work or FOOD or or or....
You get the picture. All good stuff, but messy and not conducive to pretty blog pictures. Remember my one and only other post about our kitchen? I remember that being a real struggle to prepare for as well! 

I'm popping in today to share a few thrift store finds we've picked up recently. Fun for me because I'm usually sharing something I've had forever, that I'm repurposing. 

Hope you enjoy a peek at my new-to-me finds. 

Oh, I have a fun little story about shopping for these plates....



We were browsing the local ReStore and I came upon these pretty old plates and a little leather wallet-type case that I knew my son would like. 

We had checked all through the wallet to make sure it was empty, and I took it, and the six plates, to the cashier to ask about a price. He said it would be $6.00 for everything, and asked my son if he had checked the wallet to make sure there was no money in it. My son said he had, and cashier looked at my daughter and said, "I checked it too.", and smiled and winked at her. 

When we got out to the car, my son opened the wallet and found a five dollar bill in it. Such a fun little blessing for him!





At another thrift store, I picked up these old cutting boards and a pretty white soap dish. I'm going to try to get the cutting boards in usable condition, but if I can't I'll still enjoy their looks in my kitchen. 



Do I need another white coffee mug?? Of course not. When I saw this white Buffalo China mug for .25¢ I couldn't resist. 







Every couple of months, one of my favorite local thrift stores has a "bag sale". $1.50 for whatever you can over stuff fit into a grocery bag. How fun is that? :) 
Part of what went into my bag was four of these wooden trays I believe were from a restaurant, and the large neutral colored cotton curtain panel shown under the wooden plate here. I might use it for a table cloth for awhile, but I ALWAYS find a use for neutral cotton fabric! Do I sound like I'm trying to justify bringing this home?

A few more things found their way into my $1.50 bag, including a darling Cabbages and Roses skirt, and a couple of other things I'll share with you another time. Crazy what you can fit in that bag. 





Not exactly sure what will happen with these, but I'm envisioning my artistic daughters painting something on them. With the gloomy, snowy weather we've been having this week, I'm thinking a sunny beach scene sounds pretty nice : )



Baskets, white dishes, coffee cups....my addictions are making themselves apparent. 




For $5.00, this vintage wooden folding chair was a bargain. My "vintage minimalist" teenager is thinking of using this as a bedside table. 







Okay guys, I think I see a little sun shining through the clouds and some buds finally appearing on the trees around here. The outdoors is calling! I guess the kitchen is going to wait one more day. I'll share it soon- promise!

Thanks for coming by!

Jeanette


Sharing over at
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Under $100 Party at Beyond the Picket Fence
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Knick of Time Tuesday
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
The Scoop at StoneGable
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Sundays at Home at Thoughts From Alice
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Be Inspired at Common Ground









26 comments:

  1. I love thrift store shopping. Your stores sound fantastic. White dishes are catching on because they are getting harder and harder to find. Sorry your having gloomy weather. Spring has to be here soon. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my kind of shopping! I'd buy the plates, cutting boards, curtain panel and chair, too! And I know just what you mean about that darn kitchen....I literally just told my sister today that with the kids home from spring break I feel like all I do is make them meals and a mess! Enjoy your weekend. xoKathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some great items. The wooden trays used to have pewter platters in them and they normally were found at steak houses like Ponderosa. I think the chair will make a great bedside table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those cutting boards! Been looking for some myself. I never seem to find the kind of thrift store items you find. I must not know where to look! Your daughter is most likely a Jeanette-just-waiting-to-happen!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about the meals Jeanette - my kids think they need to eat every single day! : ) I like your thrift store finds. So sweet about the $5.00. Congrats on your Somerset Life feature too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old cutting boards. When we moved time before last my husband picked up several old cutting boards and tossed them out. I could have gladly X'd him out!!!! I love the white pottery pieces, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great finds, I love the plates and the cutting boards are super. How fun your son found a treat inside the wallet too. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome finds Jeanette...gotta love those thrift stores. So many treasures can be found. I just love, love, love thrift stores. So glad I stumbled onto your blog :-) Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

    Hugs and Kisses
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really scored and ReStore....wonderful finds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have similar addictions. Very hard for me to find ironstone/white but when I do, I scoop it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What great finds! Love the breadboards and ironstone! It's finally warming up just a tad here :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a beautiful day gathering up treasures. I too look for any shade of whites when it comes to ironstone ware, something about its aged beauty that adds the rustic to my kitchen. The cutting boards are a dream find I look all the time for them.

    Looking forward to seeing them in there place.
    Xx
    Dore

    Oh what a sweet blessing for your son. A special gifting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love shopping at the ReStore. I always find some fun treasures and at bargain prices too. Love your pretty white plates and that chair is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent finds Jeanette. I love Restore, and I would have picked up the same things. The cutting boards look very promising. Love that mug and the basket. Your daughter sounds like a stylist; love the thought of her using the chair -- which is an amazing find -- as a nightstand. You'll have to take a photograph, if she decides to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You found some wonderful things! And what a cute story! Thanks for sharing both at THE SCOOP!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great finds - and the dishes look lovely in the basket, nice touch. I always see cutting boards but not in such great condition - would love it if you could share how you get yours back into usable condition.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love everything in the post...the dishes, basket, wooden boards, folding chair...and what a sweet story about your son's wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can never go wrong with white plates nor be without them! Love them and I do enjoy thrift store shopping. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice deals, Jeanette. Breadboards, and, ironstone. I love your palette.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful finds. I LOVE the title of your post!
    Judypimperl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. love those amazing bread and cutting boards!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jeanette - I am new to your blog but love so many things about it. Love your header!! I, too, collect white dishes and I am running out of room to put them. But, I keep on buying them when I find a good deal. Also love all of your cutting boards. You really got a lot of good items. I am your newest follower.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  23. yeah, what is with those kids? mine expect the same thing! hehe :) Love all of your finds and beautiful style!

    ReplyDelete
  24. it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity..
    Inspection Company El Paso

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello I'm David, I live in USA, I was finding for a Absolute Security & Automation services for the last 2 months of my one of my social media. Friend recommend me a services provider of Absolute Security & Automation, They have Technical & certified and experienced team members, I got the services of Theft Protection Phoenix AZ






    in cheap rates, You guys also contact them for best services!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!