Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 24, 2014

Farmhouse Style Kitchen Cabinet



I'm back from a little blogging "time out", and ready to share a fun project with you all today! 




Isn't this cute? 

Every room sort of has that thing (or several) that bugs you every time your eye lands there, right? In our kitchen, this is the thing. 

The garbage can sits at the end of the cabinets right where you enter the kitchen. I've tried moving it to other spots, but this is really the only place that makes sense. The recyclables tend to land in this spot for a bit, as well, before making their way to the outside bin. 

It just seems like a lot of real estate being taken up with something so ugly! 




Last summer I saw this post over at Frugal Ain't Cheap, and I fell in love with the idea of re-purposing a piece of furniture to make a cabinet to hide the unsightly garbage can and gain a little extra counter space as well. 

Yesterday, I decided it was the day to finally get this project done-farmhouse style.  




About a year ago my oldest daughter gave me this little dresser when she and her husband moved to a smaller apartment. She had rescued it from a friend who was throwing it away, and had been using it to hold supplies in her craft space. 

I pulled it up from the basement, and this is what I did to transform it into a cute and functional farmhouse style cabinet for the kitchen:



It is really not made very well, which actually worked to my advantage for this part. I removed the three large drawers and was able to easily pop out the two middle strips of wood with a hammer. 
At this stage my mind starts racing with all the possibilities for this piece, but...stick to the project at hand, Jeanette!

I had actually pitched the idea of turning this piece into a kitchen island for a friend, but realized after some messing with it that it doesn't seem sturdy enough for that. I do have another idea for that project :) 




Sometimes you just have to make do with what you already have to work with. I sure don't have money to spend to hide a trash can, so I painted it with the only paint I have on hand- Valspar contractor's "high hide white". Nothing fancy, but perfectly fine for this project!


{what's up with the huge fancy watermark ^ on a photo of my trash can?? haha}

Yes, this will stick out past the end of the wall here, but it's not really a problem for me. The only time you'll see that back edge is when you come out of the half bath, to the right of the closet door shown in the background. I did paint the back of the dresser, as well, so at least it has a finished look on that back corner that shows. 









I added these cute iron bird drawer pulls that I've had for years. I cut a little curtain from some faded brown ticking stripe fabric from my stash, and hung it across the front with a tension rod. 





I'm so happy with the way it turned out! 




Plenty of room for extra garbage bags, the hand broom and a few recyclables on their way out.  






Of course I had to add a few cute things on top for the photos, including my french farmhouse caddy from The Shoppe at Somerset. I'm still deciding what this extra space will be used for. Maybe our coffee setup? 





From start to finish, this dresser-to-farmhouse-style-cabinet project took about two hours (not counting time for paint to dry) and cost absolutely nothing! You know this is my favorite kind of project :) 
No more ugly trash can, and a little bonus counter space. Love it! 

Take a fresh look at the things you already have available.  You might just have what you need to fix that "thing" in your space. 




Click here to see the rest of the farmhouse style kitchen updates. 
Thanks so much for coming by today!

Jeanette


Sharing this week, over at
Junkers United Party at Knick of Time
Sundays at Home at Thoughts From Alice
Party Junk at Funky Junk Interiors
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Be Inspired at Common Ground
Thrifty Life Thursday at Revisionary Life
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Under $100 Party at Beyond the Picket Fence
Before and After Wednesday at The Dedicated House What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict

37 comments:

  1. Perfect idea, Jeanette. As I was reading and scrolling down I was going to suggest you make a cabinet to fit it- LOL Great minds think alike I guess cuz that is just what you did. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out perfect, and I love the skirt idea. Great new trash container.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out really cute, Jeanette! It seems like a great solution. I know that would drive me crazy, too. Love the curtain. Would it not jut out that little bit if you turned it {with the back to the cabinet next to it}?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one of the best ideas ever! Love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea . . . this turned out so cute and useful, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out so cute, Jeanette!! I'm with you...I don't like the kitchen trash can out in plain view. Great idea!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the way you think. That is one impressive idea. I'm adding it to my never ending list and will tweak it a smidge. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cleaver idea. Our trash can sticks out like a sore thumb in the kitchen as well. I think it's time to do a little searching for something to hide it under...Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just awesome and a great repurpose. Love this in your kitchen. It is so cute with the skirt. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! Now, what were you mentioning about that kitchen island for a friend? :) Seriously, if I can keep coming and throwing trash away in your cute little whatever- it- is- called, I will be happy! Great job, Jeanette! Dina

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with kathy.. could you turn it sideways? so that the back of the little dresser is against the SIDE of the cabinet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! Now I'll be on the lookout for a chest of drawers that I can use like that. I hate the sight of my trashcan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So clever and pretty! I <3 your striped fabric:) Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice idea. I actually have a dresser that needs a little tlc to get it back into working order. This might be the perfect idea for it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea Jeanette! My garbage can sits in the kitchen in the wide open.. it just never looks good.. I love this idea... You are the clever one.. Your farmhouse kitchen is just lovely! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. SOOOO much cuter than a naked trash can. Love how you just went for it, Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love it, what a fun and creative idea. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is AWESOME! What a cute and clever idea! You really made it so pretty♥

    ~Linsey at The Farmhouse Porch

    ReplyDelete
  19. So clever! You did a great job on this. I love the curtain. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Turned out darling Jeanette! Love the skirting and the bird handles.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great way to hide the trash can. It is perfect for your kitchen...love it!!
    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jeanette,
    This is a great idea...I hate a garbage can so much it's in the garage and I walk across the kitchen 50 million times a day to toss trash or lint or anything that clutters. I could so do this, now I have to find a tall cabinet but not to long so it won't hang over like what you are going through, now that you have a place to hind the trash do you have a wall this hideaway could fit on, if not you may find another chest someday that is not as long and I bet I know just what you will create with it.
    Hey how about screwing some hooks inside the chest so you can hang the dust plan and small items. You could get another plastic tub and place it I. The chest to store all your cleaning supply's ....now you need a stick-up deodorizer to stick on the wall of the chest keeping it all fresh and smelling great.

    This is a perfect up styling piece, I am sure you will be seeing lots of blogging friends recreating this idea :)

    See to soon.

    Xoxo
    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  23. Welcome back and it is perfect. I always love seeing what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So clever, love how it came out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Project came out so cute! Great solution. Happy SYC Thursday

    ReplyDelete
  26. Perfect solution and it looks great. Loving those bird drawer pulls! Fabulous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks so pretty! What a great idea and a super transformation, too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your solution.

    And now, I am wondering what you are going to do with the drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a great idea. Love the creativity, functionality and just plain like the way it looks. :)

    Blessings, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Super idea. I like the skirt and the bird knobs are adorable. Looks wonderful with your arrangement on top, but a coffee bar would be cool, too. Have a great day. ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  31. I LOVE it!!! the bird pulls are just too cute. It turned out great

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jeanette that was a great idea... I have 2 small dressers like that coming this week and I love your idea. I'm even thinking that you could have used the cleats on the side to add shelves on the bottom and then the curtain! Thank you so much for the inspiration, I think your project turned out beautiful!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  33. I really liked it very much and thanks for sharing these kind of kitchen related information.


    Good Modular Kitchen in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  34. it was a wonderful chance to visit this kind of site and I am happy to know. thank you so much for giving us a chance to have this opportunity..
    Inspection Company El Paso

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello I'm David, I live in USA, I was finding for a Absolute Security & Automation services for the last 2 months of my one of my social media. Friend recommend me a services provider of Absolute Security & Automation, They have Technical & certified and experienced team members, I got the services of Smart Home Service Phoenix AZ




    in cheap rates, You guys also contact them for best services!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!