Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, February 24, 2014

DIY Hutch in the Entryway




Welcome to a new February week, friends!

Recently, I had the honor of being featured in Artful Blogging Magazine. One of the "perks" of that experience was receiving a gift card for Stampington & Company's  online store, The Shoppe at Somerset





If you haven't visited Stampington's website or shop, you will simply be amazed at all of the creative resources they offer. This is not a "sponsored" post, I've really just been a fan of their magazines and website for years! 




So, this week I thought it would be fun to show you a little DIY hutch I made to replace the dresser that's been in the foyer. The dresser has been moved back to the living room {post on that soon} and I decided this would be a good spot to display some of the new things I chose from The Shoppe at Somerset, and start adding a hint of spring to our home. 

For a girl like me who is always on a very tight budget, I'm all about 'shopping' my own house and re-inventing pieces for a new purpose and a fresh look. To be able to have some actual new (!) decor items to play with is such a treat for me! 


Here are the pieces I pulled together to create the hutch that will showcase some of my new pieces alongside some of my timeworn favorites. 






If ever there was a workhorse piece of furniture in my home, this little table is it! 

About 7 or 8 years ago, I was driving home and spotted this table curbside next to the 'leftover' pile from a yard sale. 

Reflecting back now, there may have been voices coming from my family in the van yelling things like, "Nooooo, Mom!" and "Don't do it!!" and "It's reaaaally ugly!!". 





Maybe

My memory isn't always the best.

Anyway, needless to say, I stopped. The woman who had been hosting the sale came to her front door and said, "Please take it!". 

Alrighty, then!

I stuffed it in the van, ignoring the protests and eye rolling,  and I've never regretted it! 

This sturdy little table has been an end table, a sofa table, a nightstand, a desk, a kitchen island and last Valentine's Day, it even served as our Valentine Love Note Station.

Okay, enough gushing about my little table....

The next piece in the equation is a cute little white bookshelf that I actually paid for at a yard sale many years ago : ) All of five dollars, I think. 




(Sorry, terrible photo)
I removed the wood pieces that the legs are attached to so it could sit on top of the little wood table. 



If the bookshelf never goes back to being a free standing piece again, I will definitely use these for another project. I already have a few ideas brewing...





The last piece I used to create the 'bones' of the hutch is a vintage cabinet door that I also picked up curbside last spring. 







It fits perfectly across the bottom leg braces of the table, creating a generously sized shelf. 
Now, I'm guessing a lot of you would probably paint this table. I have thought about it, but I just like the warmer wood tone and the aged look of it in combination with my other painted pieces. 






It's all ready to add some fun things! 





On the top of the hutch, a little chalkboard I created from an old kitchen cabinet door with my thrift store "N" in front, a vintage scoop and white iron bird. 



My new french farmhouse caddy from The Shoppe at Somerset! It actually has four sections inside and I'm already thinking of all the different ways I'll be able to use it. Fun!



In my last post {over here} I showed you a gorgeous bucket of flowers from my friend. Sadly, this Baby's Breath and greenery are all that's left of it this week. I need another bucket of flowers! 








My old tin pitcher, iron bird, fern print and weathered black frame have been around here a long time. 




On this shelf, a couple of new, and just new to me, items. The composition book and metal library drawer are from Stampington and the old wood finials I picked up at a thrift store this week for about a dollar. 



I know this library drawer is going to be used in many different ways for a long time to come. So many possibilities! 


















I haven't had an actual garden for over 3 years, and I couldn't find any of my old tools. I just tucked in this vintage metal scoop because I like the way the aged metal looks with the other items. 


This sweet little bird has been in my collection for quite a few years.



I bought this rustic looking wooden box at a thrift store last year. I don't think it's really as old as it looks, but I thought it had some charm to it. I attached an old wooden knob to it to make it look more like an old drawer. 

If I'm smart, I'll toss my keys in there when I come in the door so I'm not always looking for them!












On the bottom, I started with this wire basket. It was (you guessed it) another curbside freebie last spring.
I can't wait to see what I find at this year's community "Spring Clean-Up"! 





In the basket I placed some old field guides, a vintage black scrapbook cover with a green chalkboard attached to it, another cabinet door chalkboard and the galvanized flower bucket from my friend. 

No, the tulips aren't real. Let's just pretend, okay? ; )













I put my blue kitchen stool next to the hutch for a little spring color.










At one time this iron bird trellis was in my flower garden (at my previous home). I think the white plastic light switch really enhances the rustic look of this piece, don't you? {smile}

I wonder if I'll ever have a garden spot again...




 Looking down to the foyer from the upstairs hallway. 

 

Here's what this area looked like when I shared it with you this past Fall. {you can see that post here}





 And today with my practically free DIY hutch. 





While I don't "love" not having much money to spend, I do love being able to pull together something new from items I already have. That's part of what Creating a Life means! 

What are you working on this week? I'd love to hear about what's changing at your place!

Blessings-

     Jeanette



Join me this week over at
The Scoop Mega Spring Party at StoneGable
What's it Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Party Junk at Funky Junk Interiors
Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Be Inspired at Common Ground
Thrifty Life Thursday at Revisionary Life
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours
Under $100 Party at Beyond the Picket Fence
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch

The Scoop at The Everyday Home
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm



23 comments:

  1. What a wonderful job you did pulling it all together to form a hutch...very creative and love all the accessories you picked out for their perfect spots.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! You have the knack for being extremely creative. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great, Jeanette! I love how you pulled this together with a table and a bookcase. All your accessories are wonderfully arranged. I never would have thought to use wood finials in a display like this {and I have a few in my craft room}. I like that you styled underneath the table, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful hutch!! I love the items you combined to create such a lovely area!! Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a lovely job working with what you have. Way to go!

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! Love this!

    Stephanie
    www.barksdaleblessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeanette, you created a lovely springy greeting for those who enter!! LOVE the table you found curbside! Definitely a winner!! All of the wonderful elements you used work so well together.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your table and the way you assembled a hutch! The birdies are adorable, as are the other fun vintage items. Have you ever considered painting the little table white, too? Of course, that is what I choose to do to practically everything! The details would look great lightly distressed...please bring this over to Revisionary Life on Thursday to the link party! It's exactly what we're all about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea, so genius. This is so creative and turned out so pretty. Love how you accessorized it too. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable vignettes! I love your hutch. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeanette this project took my breath away!!! I stopped in Barnes and Noble and picked up my copy. Your feature in Artful Blogging was beautiful what an amazing lady you are. Have a wonderful week! My love to you Kate xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this space you created! Thank you so much for sharing it over at THT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome, creative idea and styled so nicely. Thanks for linking up, I am pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful...and as always, the little "details" are wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jeanette,
    Oh I so loved the unique pieces in Stampingtons shop. I chose to spend my gift certificate on more copies of the artful Blogging issue we were featured in. I planned to pass them out to family and close friends.
    I also spent the remainder on the up and coming new magazines wanting to not miss out on a thing they create.
    I adore both of your hallway entry designs, as for your newly displaying of your table top hutch and table I love this look and the layering you can display in it invites a closer look into your world of gathering and collecting. Don't you just love when an idea comes to life, and being able to add those road side finds soulfully to what you have created is the best part.
    Will look forward to the reassigned chest of drawers in the living room, I am sure we won't be surprised with the beauty in how you designed around it. We adore your style of making things, bought, passed down, and best of all found in how you create around all the things that add grace and beauty to your life....
    Truly, creating a life now, and well lived.

    Lots of new roadside finds to you, and all you will inspire when you post them.

    Xox
    Blessings

    Doré

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wanted to let you know that you are featured on my Inspire Me linky party. Be sure to come by and grab your featured button. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Jeanette.. so nice to meet you...Wow! I just love your new creation and all the pieces you put there.. I love the old table...I would have braked for that one too.. and to think the shelf was only 5.00.... I just love how you made to joined them together to make the hutch...I am following along with you... so excited to get to visit with you.. I hope you will stop by for a visit and maybe follow along with me too. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How creative you are to make a hutch out of a table and bookcase! I love your collection of interesting things! First time to your blog and I'm enjoying myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just beautiful Jeanette. I love what you did here. Thanks for sharing.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will feature this post on Home Sweet Home this week, Thursday. You did a fantastic job with this!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is super inspiration for me, love how you've styled everything. I just love it when random pieces "get married"!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love how you mixed the two pieces together to make a hutch! But what I really love is that piece that has hooks on it! Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Disposable Coveralls PolyGuard SMS W/Hood, Elastic Boot & Wrist.
    COVERALLS For Asbestos and Lead Abatement, Remediation Activities

    Coveralls Cat 3 TYPE 5-6 with hood and booties made of non-woven SMS Fabric with elastic polypropylene at the ankles, face, and waist and with Elastic wrist, as well as a self-adhesive flap for a better closing / sealing at the neck. Painters-towel-14-x-17/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!