Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Chalkboard Style Tags


I hope everyone has recovered from their July 4th festivities! 

For the second year in a row, our town could not do their fireworks show on the 4th because we are under a fire ban. Boo! Things are extremely dry around here, making for super high fire danger. At least the weather was lovely, and we had a good time spending the whole afternoon/evening with friends at a "Freedom Festival" that has been our tradition for over 10 years! 
I don't know about you, but I'm ready to start a new July week!





I have a fun little project to share today. A friend gave me an unopened package of these heavy cardboard coasters and I decided to create some fun chalkboard style tags with them.


They are a little over 4" across, and I liked the idea of an over-sized, writable tag that could also be strung together to create a banner for many occasions.


I punched a hole in each cardboard circle. This was a little difficult with my little hand punch, so I switched to a heavier punch and that made a big difference. I painted both sides with ordinary black acrylic craft paint.


 Did you know you can use ordinary black paint to create a chalkboard surface for many craft projects? I've done this on lots of small chalkboard projects, and it works great! Of course it's not a washable surface like "real" chalkboard paint, but it's fine for an application like this one.

I "seasoned" each circle by rubbing the side of a piece of chalk over each side and erasing with an ordinary felt chalkboard eraser. This gave a soft, almost zinc looking, appearance to each tag. 
I added a strip of heavy canvas scrap to each one. 




I used some letter stencils to test out how the chalk writing would look on the surface. 



I also tried some number stencils with chalk. Pretty cute, huh?
 

I really like this look!
 


The chalk erases easily from the surface making these ideal to re-use for many different occasions!

I have two sets of 10 listed over at The Penny and the Pearl today.

I'll be back soon to share some other projects I'm working on. Have a wonderful Monday, friends!

Jeanette


Come join the fun with me over at:

Inspiration Monday at twelveOeight 
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Creative Bloggers Party at Homemaker on a Dime  
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm 
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House 
The Scoop
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House 
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life 
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson 
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits at StoneGable 
Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Creek Cottage
Fabulously Creative Friday at Jennifer Rizzo  







15 comments:

  1. I LOVE your little project. I have a box full of different shaped coasters somewhere. Now I just have to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this too!
    And they would make great gift tags as well :)
    Thanks for sharing - have a great week
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. agree with Suzan, great giftags too! You are so clever

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant idea, I just love it. You will get many copy cats from this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's adorable! I didn't know ordinary craft paint could be used for chalkboard projects. Cute!

    Hugs,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jeanette, I love this project and am always looking for a simple craft when I have a girls craft group. This is perfect. Thanks for sharing-I know everyone will love it.
    Hugs, Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  7. How clever, I love this idea. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute idea!! I've always had a thing for cute tags and labels :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea that you could use plain old craft paint for chalkboard surfaces! I'm so excited about that. I've got to go and get busy. Thanks so much for sharing. I love how your tags turned out. Happy Wednesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chalk board crazy!!! LOVE this:) http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/07/vintage-swimwear.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! Great tip about the craft paint... that's good to know. Wish I had more time to make fun things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that, what a cute idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snooping around on your blog and I had to pin these. I picked some cardboard beer coasters up at a garage sale and they are perfect as you know for making tags. Smart cookie.
    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute idea Jeanette. I am wanting to make tags to label a lot of my craft containers. These would be fun! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are so cute and I love the canvas! I just featured this in my chalkboard project roundup :) Have a great weekend!

    ~Katie @ Upcycled Treasures
    http://upcycledtreasures.com/2013/07/25-creative-diy-chalkboard-projects/

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!