Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer Living Room

I think I'm well behind everyone else in sharing their Summer mantel and general Summer decor.  That's ok, I'm pretty sure I'll be behind everyone else when Fall rolls around too! : )


The other day I showed you the vintage trunk coffee table  I finally finished. As much as I love this piece, I will be selling it. But I'm going to enjoy it in my living room for a few days more.  

I promised to show you around some of the other Summer details in this space, so be prepared for lots of photos. Grab some coffee or iced tea and let's have a little visit in the living room today!

 

The piano is actually between the living room and eating area. I don't think I've shown the piano since  Christmas time!
It was overflowing with winter goodies back then, but in the Summer months I like to keep the decor to a minimum here.


 I try to keep the colors pale and light and decorate with our nature finds and some pretty glass.

My vintage window is just propped in front of the mirror with a botanical print tucked behind, and a chunky white candle in an old pickle jar in front. You'll be shocked to know I already moved the other candle :)





Ticking stripes (even brown) always seem summery to me.




Vintage sheet music wreath still holding together after all these months!



Over on the faux mantel I turned over a heavy aqua glass vase, and thought it hinted at the look of those gorgeous glass fishing floats I've seen all over online. Use your imagination ; )

Driftwood, a bird's egg shell and a rusted piece of boat chain all gathered on a recent trip to our local lake, and an abandoned wasps nest from our own back yard make for my idea of perfect Summer decorating elements. 
 
 




 
This wall map and globe are well used during our school year, but for now they can just look cute tied up with burlap and sitting in a vintage galvanized bucket! 


Back in April I won my first ever giveaway, and showed you the pretty linens I was able to choose from the Frugal Ain't Cheap Etsy shop. Daniela makes the prettiest kitchen towels, and I ended up using the two larger ones as curtains in our t.v. cabinet in the living room!



I mentioned before how badly this cabinet needs to be repainted, but I'm holding out for some nice paint that's on my wish list.

  

Directly across from the sofa is a little white dresser (currently holding games and art supplies) with a vintage tool box on top. There are certain "junk" pieces that I never get tired of finding new places for, and this tool box is one of them. I bought this for just a few dollars at a farm sale many years ago. It's been used in three homes, indoors and out, and I still love it!


Here it is on my front porch two homes (about 10 years) ago. It's much more sun faded and weathered these days. 






 

I've been in Colorado for about 19 years and LOVE our lakes, rivers and of course, pine cones!
But I was born and raised in southern California and summertime always has me longing for the ocean. I'm really hoping we can get there some how this summer! I decided I'd put together a little vignette in honor of my love of Summer in my current home state and all the beautiful beach memories I have from my California home.


 Don't you just love the term "rustic"? It has served me so well when I make something, stand back to take a look and think, "Oh crud, that's a total mess!" "Look how charming and RUSTIC" -haha.
I decided to make a quick little stamped banner on a worn canvas scrap. It came out pretty crooked (rustic), but I like it.

"Pine Cones & Seashells" represent a tiny bit of what I love about Summer in my two states. I attached it to a piece of an antique door and hung it in front of my crib panel chalkboard. 



 A favorite photo of my kids on a very special California beach trip is clipped to the rusted latch that fell off the tool box, and sits next to a Colorado pine cone that my daughter gave me.











I'm so glad you stopped by to visit me in my Summer living room space! I wish you a beautiful Summer weekend, my friends.

Blessings-

Jeanette 

Come party with me over at...




9 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Jeanette!! I love all those glass jars and rusty things around your house. The vignette you created above the piano looks so airy and fresh, perfect for summer. And the towels you got from my etsy shop look amazing as curtains for your tv cabinets. What an awesome idea that is. I truly LOVE that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanette,
    Oh my I love that coffee table trunk!!!! I wonder what shipping to Chicago would be on that beautiful piece. Are you putting that up on your Etsy? It is a unique and gorgeous piece.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is all so pretty. I also love pinecones and seashells. I may have to get out a few now. The coffee table and the chalk board are both gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your coffee table is wonderful, and all of that storage, how can you part with it?
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am finally getting some time to catch up on my blog reading. Your house is lovely and soothing and you did an amazing job on the coffee table.

    I don't think I knew you lived in southern California. What part?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So many pretty details. I love that aqua vase ... and the trunk turned coffee table is beautiful. Your home is really pretty and perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow, LOVE that great coffee table!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have great style. I love the use of all of the vintage pieces.
    Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeanette, love your style. I too love old tool boxes. They have so much potential. Ticking to me is fabulous in any color! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!