Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, April 5, 2013

Homekeeping {and Pretty Kitchen Linens!}

When we're in a season of waiting, and we are asking God to do something for us, it can be helpful to take a look at our lives and our homes and see if we are doing our best with what we already have.  
In other words, is it realistic to ask God for "more" (bigger house, better opportunities, more stuff, better job, more money, better stuff, nicer car, etc) if we aren't doing the best we can with what we've already been blessed with

This teaching hit home many years ago when my husband and I (and 3 kids) wanted out of our tiny 960 square foot house with a little patch of yard-and into something "bigger and better". Every time we tried to sell, or made an offer on a bigger place, some obstacle came up preventing our move and we were frustrated. I became aware that I probably was not honoring the home I already had to the best of my ability. After all, when you are spending all your time trying to be rid of something, you aren't likely caring for it, or showing appreciation for it, the best you can. I know I wasn't!

 
When I started actively thanking God for what we already had, trusting his timing, and taking better care of things (the best I could in 960 sq ft with 5 people!), things changed drastically. Long (er) story for another time.

Anyway, I was very convicted about my house last week, and a blogging break was in order to take care of some things. As a home centered family, things tend to get pretty messy and cluttered around here. It can get to the point where I cannot think clearly, or be creative (or even be nice!) which is what had happened. 

I'm not asking God for a better house, but I am asking him to move in other ways in my life and I want to do a better job of paying attention to how I'm tending what I already have. Is that really hard for anyone else, or is it just me??

That being said, I just want to show you some pretty pictures today! Yay for a moment of being shallow! : )
 

Recently, I won a giveaway over at twelveOeight for a shop credit to the Frugal Ain't Cheap Etsy shop. I've never won anything before, and I was SO excited! 



I've been a fan of Daniela's blog and shop for some time, and I knew it would be hard to choose what I wanted from the shop!  I really did need kitchen towels, so it was such a blessing to be able to pick from her pretty creations. I ended up getting a set of 3 "standard" size towels, a set of 2 large towels (I might use those for something else...) and a set of 4 dropcloth placemats. 


  
A few new things is a great excuse to play around and take some photos of the dining area, right?

  
I tried the placemats both ways. Vertically, with the numbers in front of the plate.



And horizontally, with the numbers to the side of the plate. Which direction do you prefer? I hope my rumpled tablecloth isn't too distressing for the perfectionists out there. This is my design style-a little messy, a little pretty : ) 


  Cake stand available here

In our previous home, we had a large patch of lavender right outside the front door. This little sprig is a keepsake of that. It's not in very good shape anymore, but I still think it has a little charm left in it!











  
I thought I'd throw in one with the refrigerator so you can see how small the dining area really is. We still usually eat around the island in the kitchen (just to the left) so we don't really need more of a dining room than this right now, anyway : )




Earlier this week, my oldest daughter brought each of us a "Happy Spring!" gift, and mine was this beautiful white mug with a pretty bird on the handle. I just love it! 
I'd just like to point out that every item in this room is either handmade, thrifted, gifted or now won! {Except for my dining table and chairs, from JCPenney about 5-6 years ago!}



Being able to get a few new pretty things is such an enormous treat for me! Thanks again to Daniela, Tanya, and my daughter Tess!

Farmhouse bucket available here

Hoping you all have some pretty in your weekend! 

   Jeanette

Sharing over at:

Home Sweet Home at The Charm of Home 
Power of Pinterest at Fox Hollow Cottage 
and Debbiedoo's 
Party Junk at Funky Junk Interiors 
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill 
Creative Bloggers Party at Homemaker on a Dime 
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm 
Tweak it Tuesday at Cozy Little House 
The Scoop! 
Knick of Time Tuesday 
Welcome Home Wednesday at Vintage on a Dime 
Blissful Whites Wednesday at Timewashed
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style 
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson 
Tutorials Tips and Tidbits at StoneGable
Creative Inspirations at Embracing Change 
Centerpiece Wednesday at The Style Sisters 
Treasure Hunt Thursday at From My Front Porch to Yours 
Creative Things Thursday at The Vintage Farmhouse 




























32 comments:

  1. You hit the jackpot! Those linens are all very pretty, AND I like the new birdie on your title... your post convicted me as I prepare for company and for packing up. God has given me the job of always creating HOME no matter what- it's an honor and I want to excel! Thanks for your insight and be prepared to get that table mussy- the Jones' are coming! :) Dina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pics, and lucky you to be the winner. I center my life around our family and home also and I don't always have the time to do what others want of me, but I have made a commitment to live a life centered around my kids while they are still in the nest, and so far I wouldn't change a thing:) Lovely post today!! God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that you put the placemats vertically!! I always put mine horizontally, but that looks really cool. I am so glad you love you new towels too...that's what I use everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the placemats and towels, congrats on the win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those linens! I adore the simple No.1 etc. I find that some of those kinds of table setting linens can go a bit overboard with the wording but I love those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely kitchen/dining area! I would have chosen the exact same linens, congrats! And they're really beautiful photos, too:)

    xoxo
    Kathleen
    Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...the timing of your words were perfect for me today!! Yep, I am in "that place" myself. Think I need to make some changes around here too :) Thanks for the encouragement today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous photos!
    Greetings from Italy
    Cristina and Laura

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures! Love those linens.
    I'm visiting you today from Make It Pretty Monday. I hope you get a chance to stop by my blog and leave a comment and Link Up, too!
    ~ Megin of VMG206
    Spring Hello

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanette, I love your choices. Congrats on the win! I like the placemats both ways. Kind of fun to mix them up. Your pictures are all beautiful. May be a small home, but oh so lovely!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. love it all!!

    no help on your decision. sorry

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post hit right on what I've been dealing with/trying to work on lately (and you put it so eloquently!)I LOVE anything with numbers, so I love your linens! (congrats)...I vote for the number in front of the plate :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeanette, your home is beautiful and your consideration of how you use and love what you have is inspiring. I'm so glad you won Daniela's towels. They have a sweet and simple charm, don't they? They look wonderful on your table. I can't decide which way I like the numbers. Maybe one way on one day and one way on another. That's the solution of the indecisive.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pics are adorable !!!! Not always is bigger better.....I have recently downsizes to a town home and I am very happy. I like to think we are in cozy cottages!!!! Love your style darlin!!!! Blessings Deb Vintage On A Dime

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your dining space - it seems so serene. the crinkly look is a great contrast with the smooth surfaces - it adds textures. The new towels and place mats are wonderful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely win, and it's fun to see how you're using your choices from the etsy shop.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mix of linens is gorgeous to me! All the elements are so good to look at. The white dishes and lettering... Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, my! EVERY photo makes me want to relax in your lovely home.

    And, I am heading over to Daniela's Etsy shop right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your linens! Looks wonderful! Nicole from Southern Charm

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is a wonderful message and reminder about making the best of what we have. Your table setting is so pretty ~ I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty! The linens are lovely. I also like and follow Daniela's blog. You are so right about enjoying and appreciating what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love all these ideas..the placemats are beautiful! Come link up to centerpiece Wednesday and share your post http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/04/centerpiece-wednesday-and-wrap-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I love kitchen linens and love all the French labels!! Your sweet little lavender...isn't amazing how long they keep their fragrance?! ~Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are just lovely. Hope you will join our party! http://www.thevintagefarmhouse.com/2013/04/creative-things-thursday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know the feeling of wanting/needing more but I would say you have taken your insight about that to heart. You have done a marvelous job creating such a warm, inviting home! Your pictures show that! I'm so happy you won a give-away and the items you chose are perfect! To answer your question.. I prefer the number facing the person. Meaning it's below the plate, not to the side. Just my opinion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. By the way, I just became your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How wonderful to read about good things happening to good people! I also am happy that you won a give-away and love the items you chose. They go so well with your style...the labeled bucket with the sown herb looks like it meant to be with the towels. Your daughter also knows your style and has a good eye herself. The cup with the bird is perfect. I like the place mat with the number to the side...something a little different than expected, AND it's not in the way of the diner.

    One more new follower...Judith

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your win! Those linens are just darling. And your home looks so inviting and cozy :)

    Sarah ~ www.creatingamazing.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those are really so pretty kitchen linens. The placemats, towels are really so cute and everything is here are adorable.
    A big hug!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice post. Thanks for sharing this blog. We also Manufacturers of Kitchen Linen Suppliers Kitchen Linens

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!