Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

On the Way to the Lilacs

I have seen so many gorgeous photos of Lilacs this week! In our previous two homes we had beautiful Lilacs in our yard, and I've missed that so much. Thankfully, the area we live in has them growing abundantly, so I set out today to find some to cut and bring home. 

I decided to pack a picnic for the kids and take the scenic route on my Lilac mission. 

Come on along and I'll show you some of the sights on the way to the Lilacs!


We live in a very typical suburban-looking neighborhood, but all around our neighborhood is farm and ranch country. Today especially, I felt like Colorado in May is about the prettiest place on earth.



Don't you love the old truck with a sign in the back for this organic farm?

  
We never get tired of admiring pretty horses.



My son "ooh-ed and aah-ed"  over this vintage truck, despite it's missing parts :)


My 9 year old daughter said of this charming little outbuilding, "You know Mom, I could live in that!"
 

Well, hello little fella!







Years ago, this historic farmhouse property was almost ours. It had a huge red barn, corrals, outbuildings and the original homestead log cabin still on the 3 acre property. It was going to be our country dream come true. But the seller ran into complications with the county which caused the whole deal to fall through. A developer bought this, and all the surrounding property. They tore down the barn and outbuildings and built a "fancy" subdivision surrounding the farmhouse, where the owners aren't even allowed to have animals. In the middle of farm and ranch country. Just crazy! The house was a little shabby back then, but I was going to make it so cute! :) It hasn't been touched since and has obviously fallen into further disrepair. Pretty sad, huh?

 


Well, let's head a little further down the road and take in some of the Colorado scenery, okay?











Notice the unusual wildlife in this location. 




We stopped at Rifle Falls State Park for our picnic lunch and a lovely nature hike.












I don't know what this breed of cow is really called, but we always refer to them as Oreo cows. 



One of the highlights of this time of year around here are all the lambs at the local farms. 
There's hardly a thing in the world cuter!



If lambs are the cutest, these next critters have got to be the most humorous looking! 
 


Alpaca farms are fairly common in this area, and these animals are always fun to see. 


 But when they've been shorn, they are just the most comical sight ever!





We squealed and giggled over these guys for about 15 minutes.






I hope we didn't offend them : )

We are getting closer to our mission.....




 Ahem...ladies...LADIES! You are not supposed to eat the Lilacs! I want those for my lovely farmhouse bucket in the middle of my table! Helloooo.....
 

 Mission accomplished!



I'll try to show you tomorrow how they look on my table.

Thanks for taking the scenic route with me, on the way to the Lilacs!

Jeanette 

Sharing over at:

Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson 
Be Inspired at Common Ground 
Party Junk at Funky Junk Interiors
The Scoop  

12 comments:

  1. Those cows are belted Galloway, an heritage breed from Scotland. Your scenery is not what I see out here in eastern Colorado--but, I do love the mountains. They refresh and feed my soul! You live in a gorgeous area.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, STUNNING pictures! I used to spend part of every summer in Colorado, and oh how this makes me miss it. :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a trip! Love all the photos, the scenery is fantastic.
    The lilacs are pretty great, too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. just LOVE this post! thanks for taking us along!! oreo cows, too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my... those lilacs are gorgeous! lol Oreo cows... :D Beautiful photos! Greetings from Australia♥ ~Pernilla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanette, I don't know which I enjoyed more, the gorgeous lilacs or the adventure along the way. Loved all of the old buildings, trucks, and the animals! Oreo cows are too cute and I adore sheep! Those wild critters looking down the pipe are so, so darling! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeanette I loved both this and your creating vintage charm posts. Couldn't choose just one, so I am featuring both at SYC. later today.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colorado IS the most beautiful place on earth - any month of the year. I wouldn't live anywhere else! Great post. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a fun post! Loved traveling with you in search of those lilacs! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeanette,
    Oh these pictures were so much fun to see. I love the cows and the Lilacs!!!! They are the cutest. Thanks for sharing this sweet post.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful trip you took me on today. I use to live in Colorado in Highlands Ranch. I remember all the beautiful flowers that would grow there because of the cool weather and I miss my little flower bed that grew poppies. Growing up in Indiana we had a lilac bush and I posted once how I wondered if the lilac bush was blooming only to have a friend drive by and take a picture for me. It was beautiful. You are blessed to have them for your table as I am sure their smell is filling the air.
    Thanks for sharing Kris.
    Becky

    ReplyDelete

  12. Thank you for your lovely blog, and your powerful testimony. I am blessed by both. Please keep doing what you are doing. His grace will embrace you through and through. God bless!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!