Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, January 21, 2013

Our Neck of the Woods

I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area, but I've been in Colorado for almost 19 years now. It is no exaggeration to say that every single day I continue to be grateful and amazed that we get to live in a place with such natural beauty and historic charm. The vintage homes, horses, sheep, chickens, old barns, rustic fences and outbuildings, even rusty old trucks and farm equipment in the snow are all part of it's endearing personality for me. (although there is much more to this place than just those types of things!)
I still visit my home town in California, but every time I do, Colorado looks more beautiful when I return!

  
Our neighborhood is a pretty typical looking suburban neighborhood, except that it is surrounded by views like this. Moments from my front door you are in farm and ranch country with a wide variety ranging from very humble and rustic to more upscale ranches and horse properties. This afternoon we took a little drive and snapped a few photos (mostly of the more rustic side of the spectrum) and I'd love it if you'd take a little tour of our neck of the woods with me!



Just at the edge of our neighborhood there is a horse property. There's always someone cute to try and get a peek at through the fence : )



I don't know what it is about a rusted old truck in the bright snow, but it makes me feel happy.






This is a little glimpse of Main Street



 This is definitely not Los Angeles : )








We thought this big guy was pretty comical looking. He seemed a little grouchy though.
 





It's sad to see some of these old places left like this. 


Old school house.




I always thought I'd live in a place something like the one in this picture. I guess it's not meant to be in this chapter of my life, but who knows, maybe someday it will still happen? 

I hope you enjoyed the little tour of a winter day in western Colorado. This is really just one aspect of this beautiful place we live, and I hope to show you some different perspectives in the coming months. How about you? What is most endearing and beautiful to you about the place you live?


Keep your eyes open to your mercies. The man who forgets to be thankful has fallen asleep in life

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Come over and share along with me at:
Knick of Time Tuesday  
StoneGable-Cowgirl Up! 
Homemaker On a Dime-Creative Bloggers Party 
Vintage On a Dime-Welcome Home Wednesday 
Savvy Southern Style-Wow Us Wednesdays 


13 comments:

  1. It's funny that you did a hometown tour today. I almost did the same, but my husband hasn't uploaded the 100s of photos we took on our hike high above the town today. I also grew up in Los Angeles, but we now live in Ventura and the ocean was beyond spectacular today. We could reach out and touch the Channel Islands.

    I think the important thing is to love where you are and if you aren't blessed with a beautiful setting, then make your setting beautiful in your own way.

    Enjoy your little piece of paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how I can just picture what you described, Carol. I guess I FAILED to mention that California also has some of the most stunning natural beauty imaginable. I have times when I long for the ocean (haven't been in two years). I've just been over to your blog, and following now. Looking forward to seeing more! Have a good week.

      Jeanette

      Delete
  2. Oh Man! I really don't like cold weather, but I think I could brave it with views like you have. You make me want to move there :)

    I moved to North Florida about 6 years ago and I am still not quite used to it, but I suppose the most endearing thing here are the trees. Lots and lots of trees :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rox, when I first came to Colorado from southern California I HATED the cold and snow. I even lived in a mountain town for several years where the elevation was so high (over 10,000 feet!) that it could snow even in July. Yuck! I wouldn't want to be back up there, but now I love the distinct change of seasons so much.
      Trees are wonderful!! : ) Thanks for coming by!

      Jeanette

      Delete
  3. beautiful pictures! I would love to live in a farm...or just not too close to the city! Makes me dream

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, i love Colorado!!! Great photos, i need some horses in my life:) http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2013/01/sweet-heart-pillow-upcycle.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in the mountains of North Carolina and your pictures, oddly enough, remind me of my home town in NC. I'm always reminded that there is give and take when living in a more rural area... but sometimes the soul wants what the soul wants. Thanks for sharing.
    melinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to think when I was growing up I would have rather died than live where I am now. I hope it was a sweet reminder of your home town. Thanks for visiting, Melinda!

      Jeanette

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed the tour very much. Your pictures are beautiful and that truck has just the perfect colour (I never thought I would be excited about a truck!). Thanks for visiting the Little White House, your newest follower, Magali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny comment about the truck color, Magali. I'm sure it's all the beautiful inspiring blues you've been posting about! I'm glad you stopped by :)

      Jeanette

      Delete
  7. I love the mountains!! Your pictures are like eye-candy for me :) I live in flat country Ohio. You are blessed to have such beauty and history around you. Love love the old school house-if walls could talk!! --Susie

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!